Tuesday 23 March 2021

Compostable Packaging

 I read this post from Edie with some surprise - I had no idea that food waste collection does not happen nation-wide. What is up with the local authorities that don't do it?

That "compostable" has a variety of meanings I know to my cost. For a year or so I gayly threw filled caddy bags into my compost bins only to find out that, despite the warm words printed on the packaging, they compost ONLY VERY SLOWLY. Suitable food waste still goes into my compost bins but the bag that I collect it in now gets disposed of inside the one I use for kerb-side collection. Lesson learned!

As Edie's post makes clear - much better information as to the suitability of material for home or industrial composting is required. If the right actions are not made easy for folks they won't do them.

No comments:

Post a Comment