Wednesday 8 November 2017

Brexit and My MP - Part 20

Proposed amendments to the EU Withdrawal Bill are thick on the ground. Some are more pertinent than others and a number drill right to the heart of the matter. The following is winging its way to my MP:


Dear Mrs Milton
I have written to you before about how the public cast their votes in the Brexit referendum in ignorance of the potential outcomes, the need for proper scrutiny of proposed deals, the proper exercise of our representative democracy, and the desirability for voters to have their say when there is more certainty about what Brexit would entail. Furthermore, I believe it is essential that in any deal the UK remains in the Single Market. Finally, there are overwhelming moral and practical arguments for the rights of EU citizens in the UK to be protected.
There are 4 particular amendments to the EU Withdrawal Bill to which I urge you to add your name by tomorrow, November 9th.
These are:
  • Amendment 7 designed to ensure that Parliament has a vote on the Deal;
  • Amendment 120 which provides for a referendum on the Deal before the UK leaves the EU;
  • Amendment 124 which ensures that any deal negotiated by the Government must keep the UK in the Single Market; and
  • Amendment 131 to preserve the rights of EU Citizens after Brexit.
I would be very grateful if you would confirm that you have, indeed, signed these amendments. If you are unable, or unwilling, to do so I would be very interested in your reasons for taking such a position.
Yours sincerely

Richard Bawden


I'm not holding my breath - but, you never know ............................

Meanwhile, please do look at other parts of this saga elsewhere in my blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment