Tuesday 24 January 2017

Brexit and my MP - Part 4

Here is the latest from my MP:

Dear Richard

I am writing to update everyone who has contacted me in recent months about the UK's plans for leaving the EU. As you will be aware, the Prime Minister set out her objectives for exiting the EU on Tuesday 17 January. You can read a full transcript of her speech via the following link: http://tinyurl.com/gkqkzwj

You may also be interested to read the debate that took place on 17 January on "New Partnership with the EU", accessible via the following link: http://tinyurl.com/hjmc8kl .

I would like to thank everyone for sharing their views with me. While I have received many supportive and positive comments, I am very aware that some people remain anxious about the impact of leaving the EU. There is no doubt that the political climate in Europe is under immense change and I understand that people want to receive further information about the UK's plans. I do hope that the Prime Minister's speech provided some clarity. However I know that for science and technology businesses, universities and also those businesses in and outside the public sector that rely on workers from abroad, our exit from the EU remains of particular concern.

The important thing is that the Government will put the final deal that is agreed between the UK and EU to a vote in both Houses of Parliament.

The issue of the single market has been raised by a number of people and I do think it is important to emphasise that the UK will be working to establish access to the single market. You may be interested to know that The Rt Hon David Davies MP made reference to this in the debate on 17 January, stating:

"Pretty much every country in the world that is not subject to sanctions has access to the single market. We will have access to the single market. The question is about the terms. My job [.] is to persuade our opposite numbers in Europe that it is also in their interests that we all have equal access to each other's markets, and that is what I intend to do."

In addition, I am pleased to see that the fields of science, research and technology are one of the main objectives of the Government and that there has been a clear pledge for continued collaboration with our European partners. The Prime Minister also stated that we want to guarantee the rights for EU nationals in Britain and British nationals in the EU as early as we can, which I know is an area of importance for many local people. I am proud of the diversity and innovation in our area and I will work hard to see this protected.

As always, thank you for taking the time to contact me.

My best wishes,

Anne

===========================================================

And my response:

Dear Anne

Thank you for your round-robin email of 20 January 2017. One phrase particularly stood out for me: “.....I am very aware that some people remain anxious about the impact of leaving the EU”. You have previously written that it is important to you to understand the thoughts and feelings of your constituents. You need to know, therefore, that the overwhelming emotion that I feel is not anxiety, it is anger.

Inter alia,
  • ·         I am angry that the previous Prime Minister bet the country to resolve an internal party dispute;
  • ·         I am angry that the advisory referendum was so poorly constructed;
  • ·         I am angry at the lies and deceit perpetrated on both sides of the debate but particularly by the “Leave” campaign;
  • ·         I am angry at the pathetic nature of the “Remain” campaign;
  • ·         I am angry that the word “advisory” has been ignored;
  • ·         I am angry that the votes of a minority of the electorate (37%) should be regarded as a mandate from “the people” to trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty;
  • ·         I am angry that my ex-pat friends resident in other EU member state had no opportunity to vote on an issue that may be of enormous significance to their lives;
  • ·         I am angry that so many of our parliamentary representative who on 23 June clearly believed that the UK’s remaining a member of the EU was in its best interests should now support a position that will deliver something that cannot be better than second best and may well be much worse;
  • ·         I am angry that the current Prime Minister had the gall to think that the sovereignty of Parliament could be ignored in triggering Article 50;
  • ·         I am angry at the potential loss of opportunity to work and live in other EU countries that will be suffered by my children and their children;
  • ·         I am angry at the apparent ineptitude of this country’s “top team”:
  • o   Mrs May who gave away a key bargaining position in a casual comment during a Sunday television interview;
  • o   Mr Fox who didn’t understand that the UK is barred from negotiating or signing a trade deal while a member of the EU;
  • o   Mr Davis who for months appeared to be suffering the same delusion and seemed to have little concept of the enormity of the task he has taken on;
  • o   Mr Johnson who wants “to have his cake and eat it”;
  • ·         I am angry at the rising tide of open xenophobia;
  • ·         I am angry at the idiot who told my father’s Hungarian carer that she was not welcome, causing her to burst into tears;
  • ·         I am angry that nobody appears to be fighting my corner, nor that of the other 16.1M people who voted “Remain”



Thank you for your attention. In the meantime I look forward to your responses to my emails of 8th and 17th January 2017.




Yours sincerely 

No comments:

Post a Comment