Wednesday 29 June 2016

Brexit - A ReBlog

This is from Andrew Reid Wildman. He is obviously a gentler person than am I.

Are we OK, you and I, after you voted to destroy my dreams?

I feel like someone has taken something dear to me, my identity, my connection to my continent, and they have killed it. If you voted Leave, I hope you are prepared to take responsibility for what you have done, and that you do not regret it. It is over to you now, to sort out. Some friends view my reaction as an affront. That I am ‘dissing” them. It is not. It is just that you have killed something that was precious to me. You have created a country around me that I do not recognise, which feels broken and insular. That was your right to do that, you voted the way you thought was best. And you won and I lost. But in so doing you destroyed something. Many of you are now regretting your vote. Save your tears, I do not want to hear them lest I scream in frustration at your folly. At least stand by what you have done. Are we OK with each other, can we overlook our differences? I hope so, but perhaps not quite yet, not while I am grieving what you voted to do, while I wake up in terror in the night, sick to the stomach every time I see a map of all the wonderful cities I am no longer allowed to dream of living in one day, not while I anxiously contemplate the future of my job, and the livelihoods of my friends. I no longer recognise this new land you voted for, and I do not really feel I want to remain here. My focus now is work for the country of my parents’, Scotland and to help secure its future as part of Europe. I am not at all sure I want to be part of this country that has a whiff of UKIP. So I hope we can remain friends, and that perhaps in a week or a month or so I can bear to read your timelines again. I hope so. I hope my anger and grief and fear will dissipate to the point where I feel relaxed around you once more. But understand my anger. Understand that your actions have shattered my dreams. Be mindful that my life changed on Thursday. At the moment I really need to be around people who understand how I feel so I can take comfort from them and get hope. That my anger ruffles your feathers is not a priority for me at the moment, so ignore me, for a week, a month, enjoy your celebrations, and let’s try and build bridges soon. But not quite yet. @artistofhull

No comments:

Post a Comment