Friday 2 December 2011

A Step Too Far

Edie recently reported that GreenBottle, the company behind the paper milk bottle (actually lined with plastic), is in talks about a paper wine bottle. Now, I'm all for CO2 reduction, and the promise is for a 10% lower footprint, but somehow wine in a paper bottle seems a step too far. Is it just that I'm influenced by the dreadful muck that is sold in bag-in-a-box form? Perhaps, a bit, but I am reconciled to the Stelvin capsule so I'm not a total Luddite.

And another thought. We still have our milk delivered to the door in glass bottles that are returned for cleaning and refilling. What are the economics and energy characteristics of doing that on a wider scale? A very quick internet search (and I mean very quick) yielded no robust argument. I guess it works in the milk bottle case because there is a single bottle configuration to work with, minimal transport on-costs and only the actual cleaning and steralising costs to compare with new bottle purchase. Does anyone know of some good research in this area?

No comments:

Post a Comment