Tuesday 23 July 2019

Brexit and My MP - Part 54

And my response:


Dear Anne,

I was about to put finger to keyboard to say how much I appreciate your principled stance when your email arrived. I have been critical of your actions and pronouncements on Brexit in the past but in this instance I must acknowledge that you have taken what I consider to be the only honourable step.

We live in difficult times. Brexit, whichever way it ultimately pans out, is a telling symptom of the inadequacy of political structures in this country and the paucity of political engagement nation-wide. I am still appalled that such a monumental decision as Brexit should be taken on the whim of just 37% of the electorate. On that narrow subject it is essential that (a) a no-deal Brexit is avoided and that (b) the country has the opportunity to pronounce its verdict on whatever deal is finally agreed.

Of far greater importance is the need to re-engage the population as a whole in political discourse, to eliminate the all-pervading current cynicism with respect to our representatives and to ensure that once again the general public may be certain that its voice it truly listened to. Without this, which I believe requires a major overhaul of our political systems, we will be unable to tackle the truly existential threats we face, such as climate change.

Yours sincerely


Richard Bawden



Not unreasonable, I hope?


Go to Part 53 here

No comments:

Post a Comment