Tuesday 12 February 2019

Brexit and my MP - Part 44

More stuff from my MP cluttering my inbox while I was on holiday. I am becoming a trifle fed up with her attempts to teach me to suck eggs? Does she really think that the following is helpful?




January 30 2019
Brexit Amendments
I want to update you on the current situation with regard to Brexit.
As you will be aware, the debate on our withdrawal from the EU continued yesterday and MPs from different parties tabled amendments to the motion. Although 15 amendments were tabled, the Speaker chose 7 for debate and votes. Please find attached a summary of the amendments that were selected.
Last night, Amendment (n) was backed by a majority of MPs including myself. It was important that the Prime Minister had the largest possible vote in the House in order to go back to the EU to reopen discussions particularly with regard to parts of the Withdrawal Agreement, specifically the backstop. I have had (and continue to have) doubts that the EU will be open to substantial changes to the Agreement. However, the vote last night showed that there is a clear majority of MPs who want to avoid no-deal, and who believe trying to renegotiate the backstop is the way to achieve this.
The Prime Minister has said that trying to get a change from the EU is going to be difficult, but I understand she will return to Brussels later this week. I am pleased I have had the chance to meet the Prime Minister in recent days to make her aware of what I feel are the needs of both Guildford and the country. I am also pleased that the Leader of the Opposition and the Prime Minister will be meeting later today.
Whilst some of the six other amendments that were selected had their merits, in particular Amendment (i), I feel strongly that we need one last attempt to get a deal with the EU that commands a majority in the House. In my view this is not the moment to cut off our negotiating hand.
I would urge you to follow the link below to read what the Prime Minister said about the amendments and to read the different contributions that were made by MPs across the House: https://tinyurl.com/y8tw6kv3. If would like a hard copy of the debates, please do let me know so that I can arrange this to be sent to you.
I will do my best, as ever, to keep you updated as events unfold in Westminster.
My best wishes,
Anne.

No comments:

Post a Comment