Tuesday 12 February 2019

Brexit and my MP - Part 41

This woman really is a wet weekend!





Many thanks for contacting me about Brexit. 

Over the past month alone, I have received thousands of pieces of correspondence from constituents (letters, emails and phone calls) about Brexit.  I want you to know that I do appreciate the concerns and frustrations that have been raised as the debate on our withdrawal from the EU continues.  Time does not allow for me to respond to every individual point, but I want you to know that I do read through all the comments and points you raise.  Please do continue to share them with me.  It is invaluable for me to hear all the very different opinions.

I would like to update you on the events in the House of Commons this week. The debate on the Withdrawal Agreement resumed on Wednesday 8 January and will continue until the vote on the Agreement on Tuesday 15 January.  On Wednesday, the Government accepted a key amendment to the EU Withdrawal Act.  This amendment, tabled by Dominic Grieve MP, means that if the Withdrawal Agreement is voted down, the Government must present the next steps to Parliament in 3 working days, instead of 21.

Two of the options, if the Agreement does not get through the House, are that we either leave on World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules or we have a second referendum.  I am strongly of the belief that there is not a majority of MPs who want to leave on WTO rules.  It may be the case that another referendum might get a majority in the House, however it is possible that other options may be put forward.

I have great concerns about a second referendum.  I now understand, however, that it may be the only way out of any impasse that Parliament will face if the Agreement is voted down.  Until the House faces such a deadlock, it will be very difficult to enact the enabling legislation for a second referendum.

As I have mentioned, the debate on the Agreement is scheduled to continue until the vote on Tuesday 15 January.  I am certain that all outcomes will be considered and I encourage you to follow the debates live via the link at https://parliamentlive.tv/Commons.  You can also find a transcript of what has already been discussed since the debate resumed, at: https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2019-01-09.  Please let me know if you would like a paper copy of the debates, as I can arrange for this to be sent you.

When it comes to the vote on Tuesday, I will consider all of the advice that I have been given and vote for what I believe is the right thing for my constituents and for the country.  Thank you again for contacting me, please continue to do so, and I will keep you updated as the debate continues in the House.

My best wishes,
Anne

The Rt Hon Anne Milton MP
Member of Parliament for Guildford
Minister of State for Apprenticeships and Skills

Tel: 020 7219 8392/0017

No comments:

Post a Comment