Friday 8 September 2017

Brexit and My MP - Part 15


8 September 2017



Dear Mrs Milton,
 
 
I am writing to you as a constituent to ask you to vote against the Programme Motion for the Withdrawal Bill on Monday evening.

It appears to me that the proposed timetable for this Bill is one of unseemly haste. This is one of the most important bills in British parliamentary history and I am concerned that eight days does not provide you and your fellow elected representatives sufficient time to debate, scrutinise and amend such a significant piece of legislation. I note that previous debates on European treaties have been allocated far more time in Parliament.

A big part of the Leave campaign was based on parliamentary sovereignty but the timetable makes it look very much as though the Government is trying to avoid democratic scrutiny and railroad this bill through the House of Commons.

As my elected representative, I am urging you to vote against the Programme Motion to ensure that you get the opportunity to properly examine the EU Withdrawal Bill.
 
Yours sincerely
 
 

Richard Bawden

No comments:

Post a Comment