Wednesday 28 December 2016

Brexit & My MP

I recently emailed my MP:-



Dear Anne,

May I thank you for your very prompt reply of 28 June 2016 to my email about the outcome of the EU referendum. I note that you said you had many emails at that time so I do appreciate your rapid response.

I refrained from following up our correspondence at that time as I felt it sensible to await events. I now consider that sufficient water has passed under the Brexit bridge to warrant further comment.
I note that you confirmed that in June you voted Remain, as I understand did the majority of MPs. I take this to indicate that you considered maintaining membership of the EU to be in the best interests of the UK. However, I also note that on the 7 December you voted "Aye" to division 103 on the Government's plans for Brexit. This action may easily be read as your supporting the Government's intention to invoke Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty by the end of March 2017. Is this the case?

In my original email to you there was an implicit question as to your intentions should Parliament have the opportunity to vote on invoking Article 50. You did not reply to that question. Given the contents of my previous paragraph I believe it is vital that your constituents know whether you support the Brexit process or not. I would therefore like to ask you a few straight questions.

> Do you still believe that remaining in the EU is in the best interests of the UK?

> If not, what fundamental changes have taken place in order for you to alter your opinion?

> If you do still believe that the best interests of the UK are to remain in the EU will you vote against invoking Article 50 (should you have the opportunity)? Will you vote against revocation of the European Communities Act 1972?

As you pointed out in your email, the majority of your constituents who voted in the EU referendum voted Remain. I believe they have a right to know whether you intend to support this position or not.

Thank you for your attention,


Yours sincerely,




Her response was:-




Do you think that was an adequate response?

No, neither do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment