Wednesday 21 November 2012

Caution Required

On occasion I dip into a blog written by Maxine Perella. The most recent I've seen is one picking up on the BBC2 programme Operation Iceberg. I've not yet seen this - and from Maxine's account it seems that it is something I should do. However, what I want to mention is a cautionary tale about scare mongering.

Clearly the programme describes a natural phenomenon - the creation and eventual death of an iceberg. Maxine, however, leaps to a link with climate change and complains that this was not mentioned until 35 minutes into the programme. Now I'm sure that climate change is leading to accelerated ice loss but we shouldn't make linkages where they are not substantiated. In this case it sounds as though they were not.

No comments:

Post a Comment