Thursday 2 June 2011

Voluntary offsetting in the FTSE100

Time to catch up on what's been happening over the last month (or more - given how much my nose was to the grindstone just before jolly hols - sigh).

In April Carbon Retirement published a report on offsetting by FTSE100 companies. (Follow the link in this EDIE report). The report generally chastises companies for 'pitifully low' offsetting and in a way that's fair enough but I do have a problem with looking at this issue just along the offsetting axis. If a company is putting siginificant money and effort into emissions reduction (and I'm not saying that many are) then I'd be happy to see low offsetting activity. Conversely, offsetting can compensate to a certain extent for lack of direct activity. I would like to see a more holistic report.

No comments:

Post a Comment