Wednesday 17 November 2010

Another Nuclear Step

The HSE has recently announced that the Regulatory Issue (RI) placed on the proposed control and instrumentation system for the European PWR has been closed and that the remaining concerns now equate to the status of a Regulatory Observation (RO). So, it looks as thought the GDA process is still on course.

Since my last post several colleagues have berated me for my support for nuclear - most of them pointing me to the recent Ecologist interview with Raul Montenegro. While I understand his argument about legacy issues, and cannot deny that they are serious in the case of nuclear, we are right now creating legacy consequences for our descendants by using fossil fuels. I cannot see renewable sources of energy coming on-stream quickly enough to provide for today's energy demands; and I cannot see that there is sufficient political will to reduce global consumption to the extent that renewables will be sufficient. So, do we leave our descendants to cope with inevitable climate change or do we present them with a nuclear waste problem that they may be able to contain? I propose the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment