Thursday 26 January 2023

Another Email to my MP: Tackling Short-termism

 Dear Ms Richardson,


Thank you for this response [about the proposed Cumbria coal mine] which I am sure you will not be surprised to read I find deeply disappointing. The creation of just 532 jobs at the expense of releasing in the order of 0.4Mt CO2e/yr for decades I consider to be an equation that is well out of balance.

However, it is not the mine that is my focus in this email; rather it is the inherent (and not surprising) short-termism behind much legislative decision making. It seems to me that there is a need for mechanisms to ensure that all public bodies, especially including government, take into account the long-term impact of their decisions. Considering climate change, for instance, it is our children and our children's children, who will suffer or otherwise from actions being made today. The Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015 is an example of such a mechanism.

May I urge you to pursue, at every possible occasion, a similar mechanism to cover the entirety of the UK?

Yours sincerely

Richard Bawden

No comments:

Post a Comment