Thursday 14 March 2019

Brexit and my MP - Part 46


The following is from my MP. This is someone who voted remain in 2016. This is someone who represents a remain-voting constituency. And this is someone who can write "I have always believed that a deal with the European Union, and a measured transition when leaving, was important for our economy". No you haven't - less than 3 years ago you believed that remaining in the EU was the thing to do! 

The warped logic of our MPs is staggering.



Thursday 14 March 2019
I want to update you on the events of last night.
There was a series of amendments tabled by MPs from across the House. I voted against amendment (a) in Dame Caroline Spelman’s name to remove no deal as an option partly because of the comments Dame Caroline made herself. She had attempted to withdraw her amendment as she believed that the main Government motion was more powerful. However, the amendment was still put to the House and was won very narrowly - there were 312 votes in favour and 308 votes against.
The main motion then became the only opportunity to prevent no deal on 29 March. Leaving with a deal has consistently been the Government’s preferred outcome and this is a personal view that I have long held myself. I have always believed that a deal with the European Union, and a measured transition when leaving, was important for our economy. I therefore did not feel I could vote against this motion but wanted to make sure no deal was removed as an option. You can find a full transcript of the Prime Minister’s statement yesterday, and the debate that followed, at: https://tinyurl.com/y3f8qu3s.
I would like us to leave the EU on 29 March and, had the Prime Minister’s deal been supported, this would have been possible. I believe that a delay is now inevitable if we do not want to leave without a deal in place.
As ever, I will do my best to keep you updated as events unfold in Westminster.
My best wishes,
Anne.

No comments:

Post a Comment