Sunday 9 December 2018

Brexit and my MP - Part 34

I have been biting my tongue as far as communicating with my MP on Brexit is concerned. However, needs must...……….



Dear Ms Milton,



I have refrained from writing to you upon the subject of Brexit for some time not because I have little to say; nothing could be further from the truth; but because the unedifying sight of government members bickering among themselves and the demonstrations of apparent ineptitude, ignorance and lack of judgement on behalf of some ministers and other MPs have so angered me that I feared any missive from me might descend into mere invective.

However, the UK now stands at another crossroads and it is right that you should hear the opinions of your constituents.

It is quite obvious that the transition deal and the vague, wishy-washy political statement about long-term relationship attached to it, promise an outcome manifestly worse than the UK’s present arrangements with the EU. A no-deal Brexit would be even more damaging.

I am reminded that item III.6 of the House of Commons Code of Conduct reads “Members have a general duty to act in the interests of the nation as a whole; and a special duty to their constituents”. I have yet to hear a cogent argument explaining how opting for the so-called “least worst” position, i.e. Mrs May’s “deal”, fulfils that duty, particularly in a remain-voting constituency like Guildford.

Please don’t respond with rationalisation along the lines of “the will of the people” and “protecting our democracy”. I recall that even Mrs Thatcher was inclined to agree with Lord Atlee that a referendum is a device of dictators and demagogues. The 23rd June 2016 referendum had little to do with our representative democracy and a lot to do with naked political expediency.

I believe that now is the time for MPs to exercise that duty outlined above and to ensure that the whole sorry saga of Brexit is called off. To do so would be a true demonstration of our representative democracy. If you and your colleagues are unwilling to do so you should at least ensure that the British people have the opportunity to say whether they wish to continue on a path that will inevitably leave the country poorer and, particularly with respect to Europe, distinctly marginalised.

Rescinding Article 50 would be mortifying for many; not to do so would be a permanent and serious mistake.



Yours sincerely



Richard Bawden

No comments:

Post a Comment