Saturday 18 January 2014

Execution Follow up


Following on from my 5th January post, the New Scientist in no. 2943 reports that an execution in Florida last year, using midazolam and two other drugs resulted in the convicted man enduring "a longer death than is usual". It was also reported that he moved more requently than usual.

Then, just yesterday, I noticed AOL reporting that a man in Ohio took 25 minutes to die after "an experimental combination of drugs" was used.

You will have gathered that I find the concept of capital punishment at the best of times abhorrent but the above I really do think is beyond the pale.

What I really found upsetting, though, were the many nasty and vituperative comments left on AOL. I normally don't read comments posted to news items like this because I know what to expect. This time, however, I stupidly did so. I hope that these comments represent the views of just a small minority because, if not, the world is a worse place than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment