Thursday 24 January 2013

Will the Cloud Prevail?

A couple of Cloud developments have come to my attention recently. The first was an announcement of the coming of Mega offering hugely more free storage than any other service I've come across. The second was a lot of noise about Dell's Project Ophelia which is clearly going to depend upon Cloud resources. In between, there was a post from Dick Eastman, a well known American genealogist, musing upon the pros and cons of Cloud storage. Dick says he uses the Cloud to back up his data (I bet he has a lot) but that he also keeps a physical backup. I have a lot of sympathy with this view. At present I don't use Cloud storage for my genealogical research, although I have used Dropbox for file sharing when working with colleagues on projects. To rely solely on the Cloud one is putting a lot of faith in a rather remote provider! Mind you, this traffic has given me pause for thought. All my genealogical data are backed up to an external hard drive and nearly all the source material is also on paper - but it's all in the house so there are a number of common mode loss scenarios that would be disasterous. I think I may just follow Dick's example and store a set remotely. And I don't mean on any of the "dedicated" sites such as Ancestry or Genes Reunited. These services worry me with respect to (a) picking up details of living relatives and (b) misappropriation and misuse of my research. I have suffered from both in the past, when I was somewhat more naive and cavalier, and it's not something I wish to have repeated. So, the Cloud will be useful but I don't see it as a panacea for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment